How can we build an experience that empowers more women to achieve their personal and professional goals?
2.5 weeks | Group Project | Client Project
Increase online engagement and membership conversion.
To create a clear value proposition for membership.
I worked with a team of three other designers. We all did a mix of research, wireframes and usability testing.
The founders didn't have a technical team, so the website had to be designed so that it could be implemented using a Squarespace template.
Since all Squarespace templates are responsive across devices, we didn't create additional wireframes for mobile.
To find out why membership was low, we dug into the following research:
• Usability Testing
• Card Sort
• Platform Comparative Analysis
• Heuristic Evaluation
Survey & interviews
15 participants surveyed, 4 participants interviewed
• 73% are not paying members
• The reason is because they don't see the ROI
"I value the events most and I'm not sure what comes out of the membership."
Completed a heuristic analysis of the existing website, using a rating scale of 1-4, with 1 being a minor issue, and 4 being a major usability issue.
• Heuristic: Visibility of System status, rating: 3. No indication of active navigation, making it difficult to tell where you are in the website.
Heuristic: Consistency & Standards, rating: 4. The top navigation isn't consistent across the website. Depending on which page you click on, the navigation changes making it confusing for the user.
card sort & usability testing
6 unmoderated usability tests on existing website, 5 blind card sorts with existing navigation.
• Navigation needs to be kept consistent throughout the entire member experiences
• Users couldn't articulate the value of becoming a member
• Users couldn't tell the difference between in-person and online events.
Based off patterns of behavior found from the user interviews and survey, I created user personas.
The Design process
Since the focus was on getting new members and encouraging existing members to interact more with the content, we needed two user flows:
- One user flow to allow non members come to website, see all the member benefits they'll get and sign up to become a member.
- A second user flow to allow existing members log in, go to their member dashboard, complete a workshop, then share their progress to Facebook.
Sketches - ideation
Although we knew we were constricted to our final design on Squarespace, I wanted to diverge during the ideation process in order to think of ideas that I might have otherwise discarded.
As a team, we all collaborated on all the wireframes, but each person held the final responsibility for one wireframe.
After completing the wireframes, we set up an unmoderated usability test with 6 users.
We asked questions to make sure we addressed the core issues of
(a) users not knowing the benefits of becoming a member, and
(b) members not knowing what was included with their membership and how to access their membership content.